Skip to main content

How do other Africans countries view Nigeria? by Maurice Ewing

Often unfairly. I’m not Nigerian, nor am I of Nigerian descent (that I know of), but I have worked for a number of large entities in Nigeria and I regularly advise Nigerian (and other African) bank boards—so I have a perspective on views of them by others. My general sense is that other Africans look at the fringe of Nigerians that raise the eyebrows with their behavior due to scams or big man-type corruption scandals, and extrapolate from these tail events in forming views about the entire nation. Perhaps I feel I can relate to this sort of unfair stereotyping. As an African-American, I know far more Black people with resumes nearing that of President Obama’s than people with resumes like Biggy Smalls’s—but the world seems to think quite the opposite. This is characteristic, by the way, of a common set of cognitive biases. We don’t do statistics well mentally—even if we are statisticians. In particular, we overestimate the likelihood of rare events and underestimate the probability of common events—and this is almost universal. We also fall prey to subconscious associations and, of course, we like to confirm our pet theories without sufficient evidence. Taken together, when we see Nigerian scammers or criminals or big men, we associate scams and corruption with Nigerians, even though scammers and corrupt officials anywhere are probably extremely small in number (despite Nigerians being extremely large in number, with respect to Africa) and believe Nigerians are “all like that”. The one true point—which even most Nigerians agree with—is that Nigerian scammers are extremely creative, if not brilliant. This energy could be better spent in building the country. But again, quantifying that is difficult as its unlikely that even if every scammer changed his ways it could make a dent in such a large economy. I think the point is that, in my experience, many Africans like to look outward and criticize Nigeria instead of looking inward and analyzing their own problems—which are probably just as prevalent. I found this especially to be the case in Kenya. Yes, Kenyans work hard and yes, they are better at getting away with scams and corruption than many Nigerians, but as a foreigner I find Nigerians infinitely warmer and more noble in character—and with me that counts for something. Probably every Nigerian I have ever met has invited me to his or her home for dinner; yet, in my 2 years in Kenya, I didn’t receive a single invitation. That’s probably my bad effort at casual statistics and cognitive biases speaking, but, nonetheless, it counts for something! Blogged from Quora

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Microsoft Rolls Out Cortana Collection To Help You Save Your Favorite Item

Cortana is an intelligent personal assistance created by Microsoft for Window 10, Window 10 Mobile, Window Phone 8.1, Microsoft Band, Xbox One, iOS, Android, Window Mixed Reality and soon Amazon Alexa. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortana)  Microsoft's Cortana assistant can now remember what you've searched for on your device like books, TV shows, movies, recipes, and places you plan to visit (restaurants and movie theater). As stated on the official web page of Contana: "Because life isn’t limited to one device, neither is she. Set a reminder on your PC and have it pop up on your phone, or home speaker and vice versa." So AI is really taking over It will pops up whenever a user is on a webpage that might have content worth saving, like on a page to buy a book. Cortana can set reminders, recognize natural voice without the requirement for keyboard input, and answer questions using information from the Bing search engine. It is currently availab...

Gadgets: Premium VS Budget VS Mid-range Devices

When we hear budget devices, our mind usually race to phones and smart devies. Based on public opinion, premium devices are attributed to affluence and luxury. I will like to broaden my scope with my classification of premium and budget gadgets. Lets start with mobile phones, classical example of premium phones are Samsung S-series, iPhones, HTC and the likes, examples of budget phones are the likes of Tecno, Infinix, iTel, Wiko, Fero. Moving away from mobile phones, Materials and gadgets that can also be classified as premium are Rolex watch, Beat by Dre earpiece, Auto brands like Rollce Royce (thanks to our Chinese reverse engineers that are able to produce replicas). With my experience owing Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and having have a feel of ALL Samsung phone, I am trilled to say, the money worth it. I know most people will say the price is too high bla bla bla, permit to educate you a little on how this prices come by. 1. Research: In this age of science and technology, nobo...

Iran Censors Telegram Calls

Following the recent update of Telegram (the only instant messaging platform that beats WhatsApp hands down) has brought to light VoIp meaning you can now make calls to fellow Telegram contacts without the use of Carrier airtime. But i went same way some other Social media platforms in Iran as the Muslim majority country has completely block the feature across the country. According to the Minister of Information and Communication Technology (Mahmod Vaezi)said: "We are always try to choose best for our people and operators, but operators are free to block audio calls if it has a financial reason (not political)". Since Telegram made a great job on voip calls, high quality and low internet usage, checking your Telegram settings the first thing you'll see is "call" and with just a click you beeping you contact. this means more talk time with your data or internet service just like Viber and the rest (WhatApp) lolz. Enjoy your day pals. Source: @Eslahaat_press ...